All are welcome on weekly rides. Read the ride descriptions below and contact the ride leader to determine if the ride is the right level for your ability. Check for seasonal start times and also make sure of the ride schedule in the winter. Some rides go in summer only, many go all year round!
On winter and rainy rides, please do everyone a favor and put fenders on. Also: be careful around corners and watch for icy patches. Riders under age 18 are asked to contact the ride leader before your first ride. A parent must accompany you to your first ride start to sign a parental consent waiver. See the MBBC Ride Waiver here.
MBBC Weekly Club Rides
are led by MBBC Club Ride Leaders, are sponsored and insured by the club, and are open to everyone to check out the ride. We ask after riding your first ride that you decide whether you’d like to continue riding with the club, and if so, please join! See Our Membership Page for more about MBBC membership.
There are many more group rides in spring/summer/fall. Overwinter we have fewer rides but we encourage everyone to put on your cold weather gear and get out to ride! Starting in March and April, the spring and summer rides begin appearing back on the schedule. A Hold-Harmless Ride Waiver
must be signed prior to participating on an MBBC Club Ride.
Club members and first-time guests are covered by League of American Bicyclist’s liability policy
, carried by the MBBC.
- Tuesday Evening Summer Ride: 2018 official rides have ended. The 2019 Rides will begin in April 2019 - watch webpage for announcements. "Ramp Up" Skills Development Ride is in its 12th year. Starts at the Whatcom Community College northeast parking lot, meet at 5:45 pm, leave at 6pm. The speed and route will vary by each group's ride leaders. Initially riders will be grouped by ability and average speed. Speed groups: 14-16 mph, 16-18 mph, and 18+) Distance 15 to 20 miles. Ride focus on skills necessary to ride in groups. We will concentrate on safe riding practices, pace-line skills, how to overtake other riders and pass them in a safe manner, and how to deal with traffic. Information: Doug Schoonover and Hilary Higgins. Approximate Route Map here. Tuesday ride goes from April to September each year.
- Wednesday Group Workout Ride: in summer this is a road ride, in winter it's a trail ride with lights. We usually switch to trails toward the end of September each year, then back to road in April. Check with your ride leaders! We are on trails for the remainder of the fall/winter 2018! Bring a trail-ready bike with fenders, and don't forget to light it up! Meet at 5:45 pm, leave at 6pm from the Depot Market parking lot on Railroad Ave, across from Boundary Bay Brewery for a fast road ride in summer months. Winter trail ride group stays together on the trails; Summer road ride splits into fast and very-fast groups for a 20-25 mile ride on various routes. Contact: Tim Ryan.
- Thursday Going Up the County Ride: Thursday summer season 2018 has ended. The Up-County Ride is a convenient ride for our growing group of club members up in the county: Everson, Nooksack, Deming, Lynden etc. Even if you don't live up-county, all are welcome to join this MBBC ride to explore some county roads you may not yet be familiar with. 16-18 mph pace, 20 miles. 6pm start. Starting location: Riverside Park in Everson. Information: Rick Jacoby and John Okan. The ride runs from approximately May into September every year.
- Saturday Up-County Ride overwinter. Second Saturday of the month at 10am, with a post-ride lunch for those who would like. Start in Lynden at 4th and Front Street (the restrooms). Rides will be 25-30 laid-back miles. Information: John Okan.
Other Weekly Rides
These are weekly rides not sponsored nor insured by the MBBC, but also open to everyone to try out. For more information, contact ride leaders: names listed under each ride.
- Sunday Fairhaven “Rabbit Ride” has been going on every week of the year since 2011. Start time 7:45 am (8:15 am over winter), Sundays. Riders who ride slower than 16 mph should be ready to ride right at 7:45 am in summer (8:15 am in winter). Starts at Fairhaven Bike. 32 mile route down Chuckanut and back via Lake Samish. Small groups of similarly-paced riders begin leaving at 7:45am (8:15 in winter) and faster groups leave every 5 minutes thereafter. Fastest riders will leave about 8:30am. When a faster group passes yours, you have the opportunity to try to jump on a wheel and hang on, or stay with your group. This is intended to be a fitness ride and you’re encouraged to push yourself. This ride is organized by John Hauter; check with John to get on the mailing list for updates and ride schedules. For more information (especially to verify the correct start time and to get on the weekly email notifications list), contact John: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday Edison Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time, weather may cancel in winter. For additional info: Alfred Arkley arkley at comcast.net or 360-739-2913. Contact Alfred to get on the email reminder list, in which people discuss winter weather forecasts and whether the ride will go in the winter weeks.
- Tuesday "Hot Laps" - race course training, summer only. 30-40 miles, race pace. Training ride departs from Trek Bicycles Bellingham (formerly Kulshan Cycles) at 6pm to a practice road race course. Summer months only. Check at Trek/Kulshan to find out when the ride starts/stops each season.
- Tuesday North-Side Social Ride: starts from Pioneer Park in Ferndale, 30-40 miles, 13-16 mph route varies. 9am start time in summer, 10am start time fall through winter, may be altered by weather in winter. The route is chosen based on where the riders want to regroup for lunch. To check start time and for other information, contact: Robert Parker, email rmp-4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910
- Thursday South-Side Social Ride starts from Edison Elementary School parking lot. 30-40 miles, 10-14 mph, route varies. 10 am start time. For additional info: Alfred Arkley (arkley at comcast.net) or 360-739-2913. Contact Alfred to get on the email reminder list, in which people discuss winter weather forecasts and whether the ride will go in the winter weeks.
- Saturday Donut Ride: 25 to 50 miles, race pace, departs from Trek Bellingham (formerly Kulshan Cycles), 7:30 am October through February, and 7 am March through September. Goes to Ferndale and return, or if you wish continue to Birch Bay and return. Get your weekend miles behind you before most people get out of bed on Saturday! This ride has been a Bellingham tradition forever. Every week of the year!!
- Saturday Recumbent Ride: Everyone is welcome to come out and ride with the recumbents – including those with electric-assist bikes, plus upright riders and tandems of any style! Second Saturday of the month at 10 am. 14 mile intown course begins at Trek Bellingham (formerly Kulshan Cycles). This is a very relaxed social ride (avg 10 mph) with a lunch stop. An excellent ride for families or people new to cycling: this group likes to meet and mentor new people! All year, but may cancel depending on weather. More Info: Robert Parker, email: rmp-4724 at hotmail.com or 360-671-6910